Our mission is to promote multicultural literacy and global citizenship among youth worldwide through ebook authoring. In order to do this, we have to collect small amounts of data to improve our product or to enable functionality for your benefit. We will never sell your data or target you with adverts.
Write Our World is directed by the nonprofit corporation, Write Our World, a 501(c)3 organization registered in Colorado, USA. We collect and use information in order to run and manage Write Our World. This policy sets out how we do this and applies to anyone who uses Write Our World, whether by uploading book content or creating and using an account. Please read it carefully and if you are under 13, please ask a parent or guardian to read it for you.
Who do we collect information from?
We may collect information from teachers, parents, family members, guardians and students who create an account with Write Our World or upload content to Write Our World. We might also collect anonymous information about users before accounts are created or content is uploaded.
What information do we collect about you?
We may collect the following personal data about you:
- Your name, email address, and a password. You provide this information when you sign up for a Write Our World account. If you choose to become a Readers’ Member, we will collect your name and email address only. If you choose to become Publishers’ Member, you are asked additionally for the name and location of the school. Authors may include their own information on an Author’s Page that provides information such as: name, age, grade, personal interests, languages spoken, etc.
- Information you choose to send to us, for example in an email, or any information you share as feedback from your experiences on the site.
- Any other personal data that you upload as book content. This may include:
- text which includes information about you;
- a video or photo which shows you; and/or
- audio files which include information about you.
- Some technical information about how you use Write Our World, for example the type of device you are using, your operating system, IP address, uniform resource locator (URL), clickstream and length of visit.
- Sometimes we might be given personal data about you by someone else who is using Write Our World. For example, someone might upload a photo of you to one of their books. It is that person’s responsibility to make sure that you don’t mind them doing this.
We will only collect the minimum data necessary to run and manage Write Our World’s library.
How do we use your information?
We use information about you to:
- provide Write Our World and make sure you can use it properly and effectively;
- manage and administer your account and the books that you create;
- respond to any questions, requests or complaints we receive from you;
- communicate with you about Write Our World if we need to;
- investigate potential illegal activities on Write Our World;
- analyze use of Write Our World; and
- to improve Write Our World.
We will never use your information to target advertising at you based on your behavior. We will not build a personal profile of you other than for supporting authorized educational or school purposes, or as authorized by you (or by a parent or guardian if necessary). We also won’t use your information for any purposes except those above without letting you know and getting your permission if necessary.
If you are a teacher or school we will work with you as far as we are legally able to accommodate your directions regarding our treatment of personal data belonging to your students, recognizing that the school may be in control of personal data relating to its students.
This includes adhering to a school’s requests after Write Our World is no longer in use by a teacher or the school or after this policy is terminated or expires in relation to transfers of students’ personal data, deleting students’ personal data and making sure that any third parties that work in connection with Write Our World do the same, in each case subject to our legal requirements regarding the use, storage and transfer of such data. You can also request that we provide you with written confirmation of the deletion of your data.
For U.S educational institutions we will work with you to ensure mutual compliance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
With whom do we share your information?
We don’t sell, barter, exchange, data-mine or aggregate your information. We share your information only in the following circumstances:
- for third party service providers, such as hosting providers or an email service, so that they can provide services to us. In cases where we share student personal data with these third parties they will be obligated to comply with the commitments in this policy. We maintain a list of these third party service providers and will provide.
- should we have a legal obligation to disclose the information (for example, if a court orders us to). Nevertheless, we will not disclose your information to any governmental organization, or law enforcement, merely because they request it; we will require formal signed court orders or authorized subpoenas.
- If Write Our World ceases to function as an organization you will be notified on the disposition of your information so that you may object, consent or request deletion of the data.
- Other people might be able to see book content that you create, as well as your name, if they are invited to view the books. For educational usage it is the teacher’s responsibility to invite people to view books. People will be invited by a private link so the information cannot be viewed publicly unless someone chooses to make it public.
Teachers may request that published books can be removed from our library at any time.
Write Our World user content library is stored in Google Cloud and is hosted in the USA. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal data when it is transferred to Google Cloud, and Google participates in the EU-US Privacy Shield arrangement. This means it safeguards your personal data appropriately.
Information about other people
Sometimes you might want to upload information about other people to Write Our World as part of book content you create, for example, a photo or audio recording of someone else. Please do not do this unless you have that person’s consent (or their parent’s or guardian’s consent, if applicable).
We have strict security measures in place to try to protect your information and make sure that it is not lost, damaged or accessed by anyone who should not see it. Published library content is transmitted securely over SSL and stored in Google Cloud using Google’s security model – https://cloud.google.com/security. Additionally, access to your data is restricted to authorized employees and necessary volunteers of Write Our World.
In the unlikely event of an unauthorized disclosure of your data we will notify you by email (or by telephone, or US mail if you choose not to use an e-mail address) and act in accordance with our legal requirements to resolve such disclosure and prevent any future unauthorized disclosure.
You can ask us for a copy of your personal information and we will try and send this to you as soon as possible (but within 40 days). You can also ask us to correct any information we hold about you that is inaccurate. If you would like us to send you a copy of your information or correct your information, please email us at email@example.com. You can also ask us to delete your account and all associated personal data by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We don’t keep your information for longer than we need to for the purposes listed in this policy. We have the right, after notifying you, to delete any books and information stored in our library if you haven’t used your account for a long time. You can download books at any stage, and it is your responsibility to download books and back them up elsewhere if you want to properly maintain that content.
Changes to this policy
From time to time we may need to change this policy. We will not reduce your rights under this policy, use your data for purposes not covered by it, or lessen the security of your data without your consent. We will post any changes within the policy, so you should check the policy regularly for any changes. If the changes are significant we will provide a more prominent notice within Write Our World and will provide you with advance notice of the changes by email.
Should you have any questions relating to this policy, please contact us at email@example.com or alternatively in writing to Write Our World at 2348 Ash Street, Ste. 100, Denver, CO 80207.
For US customers you may also directly contact the iKeepSafe COPPA Safe Harbor program at COPPAPrivacy@ikeepsafe.org.
Effective date: 1 August 2017